Image of Thomas Weber, lost on Everest today.
Thomas Weber and Lincoln Hall lost, Abramov confirms

Posted: May 25, 2006 06:14 pm EDT
Here is the official press release from Alexander Abramov, confirming earlier reports today that 2 more climbers have been lost on Mount Everest.

News of "7 Summits Club -" EVEREST expedition
18:30 Moscow time. Alexander Abramov by phone from ABC:

Between May 21 -25 there was a window of good weather on Everest, with low winds. Midnight May 25 a team of Lincoln Hall (Australia), Thomas Weber (Germany), guide Harry Kikstra (Holland) in support of 5 high-altitude porters left their camp at 8300 m for a summit attempt. The group was well provided with oxygen; about 20 spare cylinders were stocked in camp at 8300 meters. Lincoln Hall and three Sherpas reached the summit at 9.00 am. Lincoln went in good speed and joyfully informed about his success on a portable radio set.

At 9:15 Harry Kikstra informed, that Thomas Weber, a climber with weakened sight, went completely blind. For this reason, a continued traverse to the top was considered impossible. Having conferred, Thomas, Harry and two Sherpas began descent at 9:30 a.m., only 50 meters from the summit.

At 10:00 the descending Lincoln Hall reached a snow triangle, at 8800 meters. At this point, Sherpas transmitted, Lincoln started to move slowly, and lost his coordination.

At 10:30 Lincoln laid down in the snow, and could not move independently any more. Sherpas began a rescue, and two more Sherpas from ABC were dispatched up with oxygen, drink etc.

Unexpectedly at 12:20, Harry Kikstra informed that he was with Thomas and two Sherpas at the Second step, 8700 meters, and that Thomas had a collapse. Tomas said, "I am dying" and lost consciousness. At 12:40 the death was verified .

Harry has sent one of the Sherpas up to the aid of the transportation of Lincoln, and descended with the second Sherpa. From 9:30 till 19:20, for almost 9 hours, four sherpas helped Lincoln down to the Second step at 8700 meters.

During the descent , Lincoln twice talked to friends on a portable radio set. Conversations were good, there was an obvious loss of orientation in time and space.

After 5 p.m. Lincoln ceased to reply and moved chaoticly. Sherpas continued their attempts to move Lincoln along a crest, but at 19:20 the death was verified. The probable reason: Cerebral edema, pulmonary edema.

Now at 21:30, Sherpas are out of danger but very tired in high camp at 8300 meters. Harry Kikstra is in camp on North Col (7000 meters).

Conclusions: In the season of 2006, a record amount of climbers have died on Everest. Under our information - 15 people have been lost. Strangely enough, the reason for it became extremely good, windless weather. This, for Everest, unusal weather window lasted from May 10 to May 25. The weather allowed plenty of climbers to reach the summit. In more severe conditions, they, probably, would have stopped the climb at lower heights. The summit became a trap for climbers with latent AMS.

The Leader of expedition 7 Summits Club on Everest
Alexander Abramov
And the responsible secretary
Lyudmila Korobeshko