Posted: Feb 25, 2016 07:46 pm EST
(Pythom.com) See those dipping arrows in the weather forecast? It's such changes in wind direction and speed the four climbers on Nanga Parbat are shooting for. Check out a live 5 day Nanga Parbat weather forecast at http://www.adventureweather.com/ by Mateo Exploration.
This is also a good occasion to revisit some of the stats. Nanga Parbat and K2 are the only 8000ers never summited in winter as stated In a previous Pythom/AdventureStats report.
- Nanga Parbat and K2 are the only 8000ers never summited in winter.
- This is also the mountain that cost the lives of 11 climbers killed by terrorist radicals some years ago.
- Of the 14, 8000er meter mountains on Earth, 12 have been summited during winter.
- 43 of the winter summits were made by men and only one by a woman.
- Polish climbers dominated the scene until Italian Simone Moro stepped up as the new leader of winter climbing with three full winter summits between 2005 and 2011, two of those with Russian Denis Urubko.
Find the updated winter stats at www.adventurestats.com.
Check also following links:
Winter Nanga Parbat: Route Statistics
History of Winter Climbing Nanga Parbat
The latest from the team, sent out by their base camp manager, said that Alex Txikon, Ali Sadpara, Simone Moro and Tamara Lunger will set out from camp 4 (seen in top image shot during a previous attempt) for the summit at local time 5:30–6:00am (a few hours of this story publishing).
Optimum wind conditions are expected for the night of 26th and should remain throughout 27th.
This story first appeared on Pythom.com