(By Raheel Adnan) Following the disastrous 7.9 earthquake, more than 5000 casualties have been confirmed in Nepal. Search and rescue has just started in far-off valleys of the mountainous country. It’s feared that the death toll may surpass 10,000.
An Ice avalanche from the saddle between Pumori and Lingtren partially destroyed EBC, killing and injuring multiple individuals at Base Camp. As per Nepal Mountaineering Association (NMA), the catastrophe resulted in 19 casualties (Another reliable source (Alan Arnette) from the region mentions death toll of 22+, though). The figure includes foreign climbers and trekkers, and mountain workers (HAPs and Kitchen Staff) from Nepal.
Here is the list of victims, as per information shared by NMA, details coming from climbers and expedition leaders and deaths confirmed by other resources.
Dreamers Destination Lhotse Expedition
1) Zhenfang Ge (Expedition Leader, China), DoB: 25-07-1971
2) Yomagato Horoshi (Trekker, Japan) DoB: 10-2-1959
First Chinese Women Everest Expedition
3) Renu Fotedar (female) (Australia) DoB:22-7-1965
4) Lakpa Chhiring Sherpa (HAP, Nepal) DoB:18-4-1982
Step Up Campaign Everest
5) Shiva Kumar Shrestha (Kitchen Staff, Nepal) DoB:20-8-1989
Jagged Globe Everest Expedition
6) Daniel Paul Fredinburg (USA) DoB: 8-9-1981
Madison Mountaineering Everest and Lhotse Expedition
7) Marisa Eve Girawong, (USA) (Base Camp Doctor) DoB: 24-12-1986
Adventure Consultants Expedition
8) Dawa Tsering Sherpa (Chawrikharka, Nepal) (HAP) DoB: 31-1-1982
9) Pema Yishi Sherpa (Bung, Nepal) (HAP) DoB: 25-11-1989
10) Chhimi Dawa Sherpa (Khumjung, Nepal) (HAP) DoB: 28-8-1987
11) Pemba Sherpa (Solu, Nepal) (Kitchen Staff) DoB: 25-2-1996
12) Maila Rai (Bung, Nepal) (Kitchen Staff) DoB: 9-5-1973
Tim Mosedale Everest Expedition
13) Pasang Temba Sherpa (Kitchen Staff, Nepal)
14) Krishna Kumar Rai (Kitchen Staff, Nepal)
15) Tenzing Bhote (HAP, Nepal)
16) Vinh B Truong (Trekker, Vietnamese-American)
TET Films & Photography
17) Tom Taplin (Documentary-making, USA), Age:61
Two Still Unknown
Based in Pakistan, mountaineering enthusiast Raheel Adnan is a reporter for Explorersweb's mountaineering sections. He shares regular updates on Twitter and runs his own blog at Altitude Pakistan posting initiated climbing news from Himalaya and Karakoram.
Visit our new website