No Break in Nanga Parbat Bad Weather, C1 Ready on Manaslu

Posted: Feb 23, 2015 07:24 pm EST

(By Raheel Adnan) Bad weather on Nanga Parbat continues. The climbers have decided to spend another day at BC. Simone Moro and Tamara Lunger have initiated the acclimatization and route opening to higher camps on Manaslu. They are spending this night in C1 at 5700m.

 

Nanga Parbat

 

Last week, Alex Txikon talked about summit attempt possibility starting from Monday. However, the conditions were too bad to go up. “One more day in BC. Snowy and foggy, looks quite terrifying today,” the Spanish climber posted on Facebook a while ago.

 

Mountain-forecast predicts that adverse weather conditions may prolong. We will have to wait and see how climbers proceed from here on. Details coming out of Nanga Parbat BC suggest that everyone is fresh, motivated and focused for the summit push.

 

Manaslu

 

Simone Moro and Tamara Lunger are enjoying good weather on Manaslu that is expected to last till Wednesday. After two days of work, they established C1 at 5700m today. Their plan is to explore the route through crevasses towards C2, tomorrow. After spending another night on the mountain, they will retreat to BC before Thursday.

 

The Italian climbers reached BC (4750m) a week ago. Simone had planned of getting equipment transported from Samagaon to BC using local porters. However, porters failed to reach BC due to excessive snow. So, helicopter was used for complete expedition gear delivery.

 

Final consignment of team’s equipment arrived on Friday. Following day, they went up to scrutinize the route towards C1. On Sunday, they made first load-carry to an intermediate camp at 5220m and returned to BC.

                                        

This morning, they resumed the ascent and reached 5700m. They set up C1 and built a snow wall around the tents to get protection from winds. “It's too good to be here, without a soul around. We alone on this great mountain. No problem with Simone, we work together really well and if the weather helps, we hope to go higher and higher,” Tamara wrote today.

 

 

Based in Pakistan, mountaineering enthusiast Raheel Adnan is a reporter for Explorersweb's mountaineering sections. He shares regular updates on Twitter and runs his own blog at Altitude Pakistan posting initiated climbing news from Himalaya and Karakoram.

 

Previous/Related:

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 

Nanga Parbat update: Russians back in BC

 

Nanga Parbat Summit-bid from Rupal Side: Russians Waiting in C4

 

Nanga Parbat: A Mountain to be Climbed by First Week of February

 

Waiting: The Usual Winter Nanga Parbat Business

 

Nanga Parbat: Elisabeth Revol's Account of Summit Push

 

Nanga Parbat: Summit Push Details and Update on Other Teams

 

Nanga Parbat: End of Tomek Mackiewicz’ Fifth Winter Attempt

 

Nanga Parbat: Tomek & Elisabeth are Back in BC and the New Entrants

 

Winter Nanga Parbat | Tomek and Elisabeth at 7000m, Going Up Slowly

 

Nanga Parbat current, interview with Ian Overton

 

Living Out Loud: An Artist on Nanga Parbat

 

Nanga Parbat Winter Recall

 

Dupre Summits Winter Denali

 

Nanga Parbat: Acclimatization and Progressing towards C2

 

Nanga Parbat Basecamps Established, Climbing Begins

 

Nanga Parbat Teams in Pakistan, K2 Climbers Hopeful

 

Russian team off to Nanga Parbat, route decided 

 

History of Winter Climbing Nanga Parbat

 

#Mountaineering

 

Simone and Tamara have started the Manaslu climb. In past two days, they completed tracks opening from BC (4750m) to C1 (5700m). They are spending the night in C1.
SOURCE
Huge avalanche approaches the Diamir Base Camp. Daniele Nardi abandoned his climb on Mummery Rib because of avalanche risk.
courtesy Reza Bahadorani, SOURCE
Snow at Diamir BC tonight. "Snowy and foggy, looks quite terrifying today," Alex Txikon wrote on his Facebook page.
courtesy Reza Bahadorani, SOURCE