Amazon Davey du Plessis update: The riddle of 4 hours in a river boat

Posted: Aug 28, 2012 09:50 pm EDT

(Newsdesk) All the bullets are still in Davey’s body. Biggest concern to the doctors in Lima is the bullets in his lung and heart. “He is weak,” says his mother, Robyn, in an update on Facebook, “and the delay in surgery is because the doctors are trying to see which direction the bullets are going in. It's either open heart surgery to remove them, or the body builds a tissue around the one in his heart.”

“The doctor is hoping that the body will get rid of them on its own, this causes much pain and all the energy your body has goes to do that, which leaves Davey weak.”

Robyn says Davey’s father, Louis, who is in Lima with him assured her that Davey is on the recovery, even though he still has to undergo some processes. “He is in good hands, great surgeons. He is eating, bottom line stable and recovering. It's always difficult to assess his progress when you are miles away; Louis assured me that when I see Davey I will be relieved as he is really doing well.”

4 hours in a boat

Previously details how Davey got into the first hospital, in Pucallpa, are contradictory: either an Amazon girl asked her brother to call Davey’s family and put him in a boat to get medical care, or he was left in a boat for four hours because he didn’t have money to pay for help.

Robyn gave the following details to shed light on how he probably got to the hospital:

"Darwin's sister, the girl who asked her brother to call me told the AP report that Davey was brought to them in a motorized canoe, that he had lost a lot of blood and that they put him on an IV to rehydrate him and then put him on another boat and sent him further downriver to the hospital in Pucallpa.”

“Perhaps that is why Davey was left in the boat for 4 hours.”

Letters from the Jungle

Robyn also published the following letters translated from Spanish, and written by Darwin, the caller.

Letter 1 (August 26th, 10.30am)

“OK, I am from Shipibo. Shipibo is a tribe from here in Peru, and my sister’s husband works in a community from Siphibo that is far from the city of Pucallpa. Davey was brought into this community and in this community Davey gave a phone number so that someone could communicate with his family. My brother in Law phoned my sister because I know a little bit of English and my sister doesn’t speak English, she only speaks Siphibo . That is why I phoned to give the news … I spoke to Davey and he told me that they stole all his clothes. When I saw Davey he did not have anything. They stole all his stuff that is what I can tell you, all his things were stolen when he was coming from the river.”

Letter 2 (August 28th, 3.48pm)

“Now Davey is in Lima, yesterday he was taken to Lima. Now I have lost touch with him, I would like to know how the situation is with him. I could not enter the Hospital because the police did not allow me to go in. The police told me that the South African Embassy is in charge now. Now I don’t know how Davey is, I hope he is well.”

Other news

Davey’s mother will arrived in Lima on Thursday, August 30th.

Latest update on his website, Accidents, has been posted.

News video on eNCA.

Davey du Plessis summited the source of the Amazon, Mount Mismi, in the beginning of July, and started travelling
down the Amazon River in a kayak and truck tire tube. beginning of August. His aim was to navigate the Amazon from source-to-sea all on his own. On August 25th he got shot by two unknown attackers while he was on the water and a survival story followed.

He lives in Cape Town, South Africa. He has previously travelled through the USA, Europe, the Caribbean and most recently has done a cycle adventure with Ricki Nethercote
from Egypt to South Africa. The two cycled just over 9000km, averaging 100km per day on a 5 day week routine between February and July 2011.

Currently another team is also on the Amazon; West Hansen and his team are also attempting a source-to-sea in their kayaks. Their daily dispatches can be followed in the live Dispatch stream at the Pythom app and at ExplorersWeb.

Since 1970 the following expeditions have successfully navigated the Amazon River from source to sea using a combination of rafts, kayaks and boats (No. 1-6 courtesy of Ed Stafford):

1. The first was British explorer John Ridgway’s journey in 1970. This expedition used cargo boats and other vessels to complete the latter portion of the river.
2. The first expedition to run the Amazon in kayaks was completed by Piotr Chmielinski (Poland) and Joe Kane (USA) in 1985/6.
3. The first unsupported and solo attempt was successfully navigated on a hydro-speed by South African Mike Horn in 1997/8.
4. In 1999 Scott Angus (Canada), Ben Kozel (Australia) and Scott Borthwick (South Africa) became the first to raft the entire river.
5. In 2007 Slovenian marathon swimmer Martin Strel set a new record swim by being the first person to swim a large proportion of the Amazon.
6. In March 2008 Mark Kalch and Nath Welche trekked and paddled the entire route. They are the fourth team in history to complete the entire journey manpowered. (Martin Strel didn’t start at the source).
7. Ed Stafford walked the length of the Amazon River from the source to the sea in 860 days. He started April 2nd, 2008 and finished August 9th, 2010. A transient team of teammates and indigenous guides accompany him, with Cho (Gadiel Snachez Rivera) being the longest time with Ed.

Related: Swedish Christian Bodegren kicked off his Amazon jungle paddle from Orinoco in Venezuela. 280 days later, June 12th, 2012 he ended at the Atlantic Ocean at Tigre, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
#Oceans #Trek #Medical

While Davey was still on the river he took this photo of the all familiar clouds building up to a rain storm in the jungle.
Image by Davey du Plessis courtesy Davey du Plessis, SOURCE

Visit our new website